Italian Almond Macaroon Recipe
The first time I had the delicious cookies was at an outdoor concert. Hubby and I treated ourselves to a night out. It was a night concert in a vineyard surrounded by twinkling lights, wine and all sorts of sweets.
After trying Italian Macaroons, I knew I had to have the recipe. The lady was nice enough to indulge me. These are very sweet and have that almond aroma that fills the house.
2 cups sugar
4 large egg whites (room temperature)
Bag of Toasted and Sliced Almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Break almond paste into small pieces. Using your fingers mix and mash the
almond paste and sugar together until it is throughly mixed. The texture will
be like small crumbles.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold in the egg whites.
It should be sticky.
4. Use a tablespoon and scoop out the mixture. Roll it into a ball about 1 inch.
5. Roll the ball onto the plate with the Almonds. You don't need to completely coat
the ball, just get some of the almonds on it.
6. Place on the baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Space them about 1 inch apart.
7. Bake cookies until a light gold color. About 15 minutes, but check after 12 minutes
to adjust for your oven.
8. Using a spatula, remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Makes about 3 - 3 1/2 dozen cookies